Data Dunkers Program
Data Dunkers is an innovative basketball and data science learning experience for students in grades 5-12. Students learn foundational data science skills through basketball statistics in a fun and inclusive environment.
The program consists of learning activities designed to explore how to find meaning in data, primarily using open data from the NBA and WNBA. Students engage in data analysis by defining a question, collecting, cleaning, and
analyzing data, and effectively communicating results. Beyond this, the initiative serves as a launchpad for global competencies, such as critical thinking and problem solving, and discovering career pathways within the realm of data science.
- The amount of data in our world has exponentially increased over the past two decades, yet the opportunities to learn about data and acquire data-related skills remain few and far between.
- Data Science can help make more informed decisions, answer questions, and discover new directions to look in.
- Data Scientist is considered to be a top in-demand occupation; Data analysts and scientists, artificial intelligence, and big data professionals ranked as the top 3 jobs demanded globally. The share of global companies planning to adopt “big data” analytics (90%+), cybersecurity (85%+), and artificial intelligence (80%+) has increased during COVID. (World Economic Forum, 2020)
- Learn foundational data science skills as they work through data related problems
- Develop global competencies such as critical thinking and problem solving, which can be applied to a broader world
- Grow storytelling skills by sharing their data science learning
- Discover and explore career pathways and opportunities in data science
|ACTIVITIES, TOOLS, & TECHNIQUES
|Learn Data Science Through Basketball
|Design Thinking Process